TIER 5: Medd edge closer to title and Redmond off the mark for Bethesda Athletic

PICTURE BY John Elfryn Owen shows Llanerchymedd (red/blue) in action v Mountain Rangers.

BETHESDA ATHLETIC returned to action in style as they all but ended Talysarn Celts’ slim hopes of winning the inaugural North Wales Coast West Division One title.

Mark Hughes’ side impressed once more in what was their first match since March 26 as they beat the Celts 4-2 at Treborth.

A Joe Todd penalty in the 14th minute set them on their way to victory before the attacking midfielder scored again – his 24th goal of the season – on 26mins.

Debutant Dean Redmond – who recently signed from Menai Tigers – then netted on 39mins to give Athletic a convincing 3-0 lead at the break.

Redmond (pictured here in Tigers colours) is off the mark for his new club. PIC: Wynne Evans.

The prolific forward had hit 18 goals for the Tigers at tier 4 level this season before signing for Athletic last month.

A goal from talented young attacker Tomos Hughes on 54mins looked as though it had made it well and truly game over.

But a late Rhodri Jones double made the scoreline look a little less disheartening for the Celts who had been on an 11-game unbeaten run heading in to this match.

Elsewhere, league-leaders Llanerchymedd edged a step closer to winning the tier five title themselves as they beat Mountain Rangers 2-0 away.

Rangers stood strong for most of the game at Cae’r Gors but a Dan Thomas header (68’) and an deflected own goal from Llion Hughes (78’) from a Gwion Thomas shot were enough to hand Medd their 22nd league win of the season in the end.

Manager Meirion Grieves had to have his thinking cap on, having to pick a team from a depleted squad and players carrying knocks from Thursday’s match against Caergybi.

The most noticeable absentee was goalkeeper Kenny Hughes – then a late covid call from his number two Liam Ewing meant the task between the sticks fell on Dylan Owen who eventually kept a clean sheet!

That victory leaves Medd top of the league on 68 points with four games remaining, six points ahead of Bethesda Athletic in second.

Llanystumdwy moved up into 6th in the tier five table as they beat Holyhead Town 3-2 at Dwyfor Park.

A minutes silence was held before the match as a mark of respect for Evan ‘Evie’ Jones, father of club founder Aled Jones, who very rarely missed a Stumdwy game.

Sion Parry (yellow) was back on the scoresheet for Stumdwy. PIC: JWO Photography.

Second half goals from Sion Pierce (51’) and top scorer Sion Parry (63’) put Stumdwy in the driving seat.

A late reply from Dan Lewis (80’) for the visitors was soon cancelled out by 17-year-old substitute Cynnan Parry who netted his first goal for the club to secure a big 3 points.

Finally, Llanfairpwll overcame a stern test at home to Y Fali to win 2-1 and move into seventh place in the table.

Jay Finter scored his 20th goal of the season for Pwll from the penalty spot to give them the lead on 18mins.

But the in-form Cai Miller, 18, equalised from a Luke Roberts assist on 42 mins – scoring his 4th goal in as many matches.

Miller has been one to watch for Y Fali recently. PIC: JWO Photography.

In a closely fought match it was Finter’s second goal of the match on 51mins which would prove to be the difference between the two sides.


The 21/22 season is slowly but surely drawing to its conclusion. Be sure to follow AFE for all the latest! ⚽️

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s