North Wales Coast West Div 1 teams impress in Junior Cup!

PICTURE BY EadoPhoto/Sam Eaden shows Llanfairpwll celebrating their victory following penalties!

NORTH Wales Coast West Division One clubs did themselves proud in the NWCFA Junior Challenge Cup.

6 clubs from that division are into the quarter finals of the prestigious competition which also features teams from Conwy and Denbighshire.

Llanfairpwll played out a thrilling 4-4 contest against Denbigh-based Caer Clwyd before advancing 4-2 on penalties.

Daniel Williams fired the visitors, who play in North Wales Coast East Division One, ahead after just 12 mins before Marky Holland equalised from the penalty spot for Pwll some 10mins later.

Five minutes later Holland (below) was the hero again as he bagged yet another goal to take his tally for the season in all competitions to 12 in 16 appearances. Two minutes after that however he missed a chance to make it 3-1 from the penalty spot!

Holland is on fire for Pwll right now. PIC: EadoPhoto/Sam Eaden.

The final 15 minutes of the match produced a frantic finish – substitute David Wilkins first bringing Clwyd level on 76mins. Jay Finter then thought he’d won it in the dying moments for Pwll but the visitors struck back again through Kieran Kendrick in the 94th minute to take the game into extra time. And the drama didn’t finish there either.

Llan top scorer Finter struck again with 17th goal of the season 100mins into the tie but a Wilkins penalty in the 111th minute meant that penalties were needed to separate the two sides and Pwll advanced 4-2 from the spot-kicks, with goalkeeper Huw Shaw (below) saving two of Clwyd’s efforts.

Also through after a penalty shoot-out are Llanerchymedd who overcame an ever-improving and determined Mountain Rangers side following a 1-1 draw.

Steffan Bulkeley had fired Medd, who beat Rangers 1-0 with a last-minute winner in a league match just last weekend, ahead on the hour-mark. But, this time around it was Rangers’ turn to strike late as a 95th minute Aled Rice goal took the tie to Extra Time.

After a stalemate in that additional period, Llan went on to win 5-3 on penalties on a foggy afternoon at the Cae’r Gors ground in Rhosgadfan.

Fellow North Wales Coast West Division One club Talysarn Celts eased through with a 5-1 victory over Llanelwy Athletic.

The visitors took the lead early on through Joel Rowlands but the response from the Celts was a strong one.

Jac Jones brought them level with a 24th minute penalty before an own goal and two goals from 16-year-old Jac Usher made it 4-1 at the break.

A Luke Baum goal five minutes into the second half was the last one that went in for the Celts who must be one of the favourites to go on and win the cup this season.

League rivals Bethesda Athletic also enjoyed a fine 5-1 victory over Llandudno Amateurs with five different players on the scoresheet.

It was also a day to remember for the club and manager Mark Hughes as his sons Noa, Osian and Daniel Hughes all took to the field together for the first time for the club. Daniel returned from a long-term injury and marked that comeback with a goal.

Osian, Noa and Daniel Hughes.

Joe Todd fired the home side in front just two minutes in but Mike Chapman levelled on 17mins for Amateurs. An Adrian Roberts goal put the home side back in front before half time.

Athletic really began to find their feet in the second half and showed that free-scoring side to their game which has seen them become the highest scoring club in their league this season.

The experienced Mike Lundstram gave them a two-goal cushion on the hour mark before top young talent Tom Hughes made it 4-1 six minutes later.

The scoreline was complete when the returning Daniel Hughes scored in the 82nd minute to send Athletic into the last eight.

Bodorgan impressed as they progressed to the quarter finals following a 3-1 victory at Bontnewydd.

17-year-old Osian McGuinness’ penalty, his fourth in as many matches for Bont’s first team this season, put them ahead on 40mins but Osian Jones’ goal four minutes later ensured that both teams were level at the break.

Bod top scorer Steven Jones netted 8th goal of the season to turn the tie on its head just after the hour mark and Keenan Latham’s stoppage time strike ensured that Bod advanced into the last eight – a huge achievement for the ever-improving club.

Finally, Llanystumdwy enjoyed a great 2-1 at Rhyl All Stars, who had knocked Holyhead Town out of the cup in the previous round.

After a goalless first half, it was the home side who struck first just four minutes into the second half as William Smith scored. Mark Godfrey brought Stumdwy level on 63mins and, following a closely fought battle, the match headed into extra time. It was there that substitute Darren Parry provided the winner in the 113th minute.

Darren Parry was the match winner for Llanystumdwy.

Aside from the North Wales Coast West Division One teams success, Henllan progressed into the quarter finals as they beat Rhyl Dragons on penalties after they played out a 3-3 thriller.

So teams left in the quarter finals of the NWCFA Junior Challenge Cup so far looks like this …

  • Bethesda Athletic
  • Bodorgan
  • Henllan
  • Llanerchymedd
  • Llanfairpwll
  • Llanystumdwy
  • Talysarn Celts

Still to be played next Saturday (November 27) is Cemaes Bay v Rhos United to complete the last eight.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s