TIER FIVE: Two in two for Bethesda Rovers and Waunfawr win 10-goal thriller!

PICTURE BY Richard Gregson shows Bethesda Rovers celebrating second goal v Llangoed.

BETHESDA Rovers are the talk of North Wales Coast West Division One again this week as they picked up a second win in as many matches.

After losing their opening 10 matches of the 21/22 season, Tristan Walker’s side are now on a roll and proving that they’re no pushovers.

Rovers’ latest victory came away from home as they beat 10-man Llangoed 3-2 at Tyddyn Paun on a windy Saturday afternoon.

Straight from the off, the visitors looked like they had a spring in their step following their first ever victory as a club a week earlier (2-1 over Y Fali) and were creating some great chances for themselves.

The deadlock was broken just 13 minutes into the match when 17-year-old Iestyn Marlow’s effort found its way in past Rhys Owen in the Llangoed net.

Marlow’s opener creeps in. PIC: Richard Gregson

An injury to goalkeeper Llion Rhys Roberts forced Rovers into a change on the half-hour mark with 16-year-old Owain Williams stepping up to play in goal for the visitors in his absence. And he did well too, denying winger Deio Roberts a good chance of finding the equaliser for Llangoed moments after coming on.

It was 2-0 on 35 mins when a great ball from the right hand side found former Arriva Bangor player Reece Williams in the box, who was tackled before Marlow popped up to fire home from close range for his second of the afternoon.

Things got from bad to worse on the stroke of half time for Llangoed when referee Liam Martin deemed a tackle in the box a foul and awarded Rovers a penalty, Reece Williams (below) stepping up and firing down the middle to give Rovers a three-goal advantage at the break.

Reece Williams (yellow) battling it out with Ieuan Grenier. PIC: Richard Gregson

In the second half, Llangoed immediately found a lifeline when, under very little pressure from the opposition, Connor Tilbury Jones turned the ball into his own net.

The introduction of Llion Roberts and Dan Owen to the field for Llangoed went some way to boosting their spirits with Roberts in particular finding some space in behind the Rovers defence.

However, the home side continued to make things difficult for themselves and, just moments after picking up a yellow card for a foul, centre back Jamie Roberts was dismissed for dissent.

As the game wore on, Llangoed looked increasingly likely to score with some tired legs showing for Rovers and, after hitting the post, they did find a second goal when captain Matty Owen finished well in stoppage time.

And there was still a chance for them to make it 3-3 in the dying seconds too. A corner whipped in produced a goalmouth scramble but the ball was booted away by the relieved Rovers players who deserved to win on the day against a very out-of-sorts Llangoed side.

That result will certainly have caught the eye on tier five with Rovers impressing throughout. Forwards Reece Williams and Tom Davies were brilliant throughout, holding the ball up extremely well for their side and midfielder Osian Price (below) was a joy to watch, gliding through players a times in the middle.

Osian Price was particularly impressive for Bethesda Rovers. PIC: Richard Gregson


Llangoed: Rhys Owen, George Roberts, Matty Owen (C), Jamie Roberts, Connor O’Neill, Sion Jones, Ieuan Grenier, Aled Jones, Wayne Thomas, Anthony Williams, Deio Roberts. Subs: Llion Roberts, Dan Owen, Harry Gregson, Tom Verburg, Sammie Williams.

Bethesda Rovers: Llion Roberts, Alec Jones, Iwan Jones, Chester Lloyd, Elliott Perks, Reece Williams, Iestyn Marlow, Tom Davies, Osian Price, Rhun Morris (C), Connor Tilbury Jones. Subs: Llifon Davies, Owain Williams, Llyr Roberts, Lewis Hall, Harri Phillips.

Elsewhere, Steven Hughes’ Waunfawr side came out on top in an absolute thriller at home to Caergybi.

Goal machine Louis Chapman fired Cybi in front 4mins into the tie but an Adam Jones penalty brought Waunfawr level moment later and an Iwan Bohana goal turned the tie on its head before half time.

A crazy second half then ensued as goals from Chapman (50’) and Gary Jo Owen’s 12th goal of the season in all competitions (55’) made it 3-2 to Cybi before Mike Edwards gave the visitors a two-goal cushion on the hour-mark.

Chapman was at the double for Cybi – but it wasn’t enough this time. PIC: Trevor Owen

But Waun bounced back incredibly well late on to pick up a massive 3 points which moves them up into fifth in the Division One title.

Goals from Josh Williams (76’), Cai Ditchburn (82’), Jones again (84’) and Dylan Hughes made it 6-4 to the Beganifs and condemned Caergybi to a 4th straight defeat in all competitions.

Talysarn Celts impressed as they moved up to 2nd in the league table with a big 6-0 win over Cefni who had themselves enjoyed a great 3-0 win at Holyhead Town just last week.

Captain Jac Jones was the hat-trick hero for the Celts with Garem Jones, Glyn Hughes-Thomas and Cefin Pygall also on the scoresheet.

Jones continues to lead the Celts well. PIC: Wynne Evans

It was also two wins in two matches for Mountain Rangers who claimed a narrow 1-0 win away at struggling Y Fali.

The only breakthrough at Cae Mwd came via striker Stuart Cooke who got on the end of a David Cooke corner just before half time.

That win takes Alex Philp’s side, who are 10th in the table, up to 13 points, having now won 4 of their opening 9 matches this season following what was a difficult start to the current campaign.

Stuart Cooke was the match-winner for Rangers at Y Fali. PIC: Mountain Rangers FC

Llanystumdwy also maintained their brilliant form as they beat Bontnewydd 5-0 away from home.

A strong first half showing from the visitors was the difference as goals from Tomos Williams (17’), Mark Godfrey (22’) Iolo Jones (29’) and Godfrey again (44’) saw them run riot at Cae Stanley.

A Tom Meehan strike in the 73rdmin completed the scoreline for Stumdwy who are now up to sixth in the table.

On Friday night, the in-form Cemaes Bay picked up a 7-1 win over Bodorgan at School Lane.

A great backwards header assist from veteran Andy Williams provided the opener from Matty Reynolds to make it 1-0 at the break.

The Bay blew Bod away in the second 45 however. Captain Keenan Downey making it two before 40-year-old Williams turned scorer on the hour mark.

Andy Williams (in red) was at the double for Cemaes. PIC: Edryd Jones.

Keenan Latham then pulled one back for the visitors on 67mins before another goal from Williams (68’) and further strikes from Matty Roberts (78’), Josh Griffiths (85’) and Rhys Lloyd (90’) secured an emphatic win.

Simplified league table for tier five at the end of this weekend is as follows:

  • 1 Llanerchymedd – 31pts
  • 2 Talysarn Celts – 30pts
  • 3 Bethesda Athletic – 29pts
  • 4 Cemaes Bay – 29pts
  • 5 Waunfawr – 26pts
  • 6 Llanystumdwy – 25pts
  • 7 Llanfairpwll – 25pts
  • 8 Caergybi – 23pts
  • 9 Bontnewydd – 13pts
  • 10 Mountain Rangers – 13pts
  • 11 Cefni – 10pts
  • 12 Bodorgan – 7pts
  • 13 Llangoed – 7pts
  • 14 Y Fali – 7pts
  • 15 Holyhead Town – 7pts
  • 16 Bethesda Rovers – 6pts

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s