Bulls and Tigers into Junior Cup semi finals (+ other leagues results)

PICTURE by Wynne Evans shows Craig Moore celebrating a goal for Bryngwran Bulls.


Bryngwran Bulls 5 (M. Hamblin, M. Reynolds & C. Moore x3)
Arriva Bangor 4 (L. Jones x 2, D. Camilleri & S. Hughes)

Matthew Jones (Orange) of Arriva takes on Bull’s Matty Roberts. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

As expected, the two Anglesey League sides facing off in the Junior Cup played out an absolute thriller for a place in the semi finals. Bryngwran and Arriva, who are also the top two in the AL table, gave it their all as the tie went to Extra Time before being decided.

Chances for both teams were squandered early on thanks to some fine pieces of goalkeeping from both Konner Druce of The Bulls and Dion Lewis of Arriva. The visitors eventually took the lead – top scorer Scott Hughes being brought down in the box resulting in a penalty being given by referee Heinz Broering. The spot kick was saved by Druce before Liam Jones pounced to put Arriva ahead. The Busmen then squandered a great chance for 2-0 thanks to another great save from Druce before Bulls midfielder Mark Hamblin fired in a 20-yard strike to take the tie into half time all-square at 1-1.

Arriva piled the pressure on early in the second half and quickly found themselves go 3-1 up thanks to Danny Camilleri’s 11th goal of the season and Jones’ second of the game. Soon after, Richard Owen’s side pulled one back through top scorer Craig Moore who produced a delightful chip over Lewis from around 20 yards out.

Jones was on target twice for Arriva. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Mission impossible seemed to get that little bit more impossible moments later though as goalkeeper Druce was given his marching orders for appearing to handle the ball outside the area. Midfielder Nik Kontodios stepped in goal in his place. Then, against all odds, Bryngwran took the tie to Extra Time when Matty Reynolds popped up to head home a Iolo Jones corner two minutes from time.

It wasn’t over yet in this crazy, crazy game though. Arriva took the lead once again in Extra Time when top scorer Scott Hughes broke through the defence to finish well and make it 4-3. Into the second half ox ET then and Bryngwran continued to dig deep – finding another equaliser through Moore who, after a one-two with Ioan Thomas, fired a first time volley into the bottom corner. The eventual winner may have required goal line technology but the ref decided it had crossed the line – Iolo Jones’ saw his effort saved brilliantly before Bryngwran hit the crossbar and Moore’s shot took a deflection, hit the post and was adjudged to have crossed the goal line.

Goal line technology needed? the winning goal! PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

5-4 to The Bulls it was then and incredibly, Richard Owen’s men remain alive in EVERY cup competition at this stage in the season. Both they and Arriva will square off in at least two finals come the end of the 2018/19 campaign too (Elias Cup/Car Boot Trophy).

Menai Tigers 2 (D. Redmond x 2)
Llansannan 0

The Tigers’ main man Dean Redmond (above) proved to be the difference once again in this one as they became the second Anglesey-based to make it into the final four of the tournament. With a few players missing, Sean Brett’s side still managed to produce the goods and keep a clean sheet against a strong Llansannan side.

After a goalless first half, The Tigers came to life in the second 45 and eventually found the breakthrough when Harry Jones’ pinpoint cross was headed home brilliantly by striker Redmond.

Menai were looking ever more dangerous on the counter-attack and grew in confidence with every move. They were denied what seemed a stonewall penalty when Callum Davidson was brought down in the box, however, karma ensued almost immediately when Harry Jones put in another superb cross for Redmond who once again nodded home and doubled their lead.

Holyhead Hotspur Reserves P-P Bro Goronwy
Talysarn Celts P-P Llanfairfechan Town



Llanfairpwll 5 (S. E. Davies, S. Morris & R. Evans x 3)
Bodorgan 2 (L. Gardiner x 2)

Valley 0
Pentraeth Reserves 2 (W. Jones & Own Goal)



Holyhead Town (above) and Meliden played out a thriller.

Aberffraw 2 (N. Moore 33′ & R. Roberts 88′)
Amlwch Town 0

Holyhead Town 3 (M. Thomas 8, 76′ & J. Donovan 50′)
Meliden 3 (C. Marsden 25′, 63′ & J. Eastwood 80′)

Mochdre Sports 1 (S. Roberts 33′)
Y Felinheli 4 (G. John 12′ & I. Owen 30′, 48′, 54′)

Penmaenmawr Phoenix 2 (A. Keating 35′ & A. Caldecott 75′)
Gaerwen 2 (D. Lewthwaite 10′ & G. Davies 52′)

Pentraeth 0
Blaenau Amateurs 2 (T. Hughes 52′ & 80′)

Pwllheli 1 (J. Banks 68′)
Kinmel Bay 0

Llanerchymedd P-P Glan Conwy



Ricky Jones was on target for Llandudno Albion.

Greenfield 4 (S. Jones 22′, 40′, D. Calvert 65′ (P) & A. Roxburgh 86′)
Llandyrnog United 0

Llandudno Albion 4 (P. Jones 28′, 40′, 72′ & R. Jones 57′)
Prestatyn Sports 0

Llanrwst United 1 (C. Parry 45′)
Llandudno Junction 0

Mynydd Llandegai 2 (M. Smith 45′ & B. Parker 65′)
Llanrug United 2 (J. Phillips 44′ & Ll. Jones 85′)

Nantlle Vale 1 (A. Jackson 83′)
Llanberis 1 (I. Mansour 12′)

St. Asaph City 1 (J. Brown 55′)
Llangefni Town 8 (M. Jones 10′, 15′, 76, L. Morris 37′, 40′, 75′, H. Galeotti 55′ & S. Pritchard 85′ (P) )


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s