Megan Cup: Holders out as Bulls beat Caergybi + Llangoed progress in Junior Cup

PICTURE by Wynne Evans shows Anton Williams celebrating his goal for Bryngwran Bulls.

Bryngwran Bulls 6-4 Caergybi

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport, child, grass, outdoor and nature
PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

This highly-anticipated clash between the Anglesey League’s top guns certainly didn’t fail to disappoint in this ten-goal thriller. The last time these two met it was 6-4 to Caergybi but this time around it was The Bulls who would enjoy that scoreline.

A chaotic start to the match saw Matty Roberts pick out Craig Moore with a great lofted ball and as always, he made no mistake to reach the 30 mark for the season. Caergybi equalised on eight minutes when Liam Patrick Williams hammered home a free kick from 20 yards.

It was then Caergybi’s turn to take the lead on 17 minutes when former Bulls man James Ryan came back to haunt them once again, this time converting from the spot. It wasn’t long before The Bulls were back in the game again though, Moore curling home a fine effort for his second of the game.

In a truly crazy game of football, it was 3-2 to Bryngwran just before the half-hour mark thanks to Moore completing his hat-trick. He then added another on 35 mins to take his tally to 33 and give The Bulls a two goal lead. Again though, that didn’t last long as Barry Roberts pulled it back to 4-3.

Things calmed down a little in the second half, but even more goals followed. Cybi pulled themselves level once more on the hour mark, some good pressing allowing Dave Webb in to finish from close range.

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport, shoes, child, grass and outdoor
Anton Williams scores for Bryngwran. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Like so many other games this season though, Bryngwran fought for their lives for that win and it came eventually. They were helped on a little when Caeergybi’s Glenn North was sent off on 72mins for raising his arms to his opponent.

Only one team pushed from there on in and The Bulls found a goal eight minutes from time. A ball whipped in from the corner found the tall figure of Anton Williams who found the back of the net with a great header. He then added a second minutes from the final whistle to make it 6-4 and see The Bulls into the next round, where they will face Arriva Bangor.


Llandegfan 2-4 Arriva Bangor

Winnless Llandegfan showed the most heart they have done all season to date, but eventually lost out as Arriva fought back well in this one.

Incredibly, the home side, who were backed to suffer another whipping before the game, found themselves 1-0 up in the very first minute of the game when striker Dave Parry found the back of the net with a neat finish. It took until half an hour into the game for Arriva to find themselves an equaliser – a stunner from Matthew Williams.

That didn’t last long however – as Robert Williams pulled Llandegfan back in front just moments late to give them a 2-1 lead at half time for the first time since the club re-formed in the summer of 2017.

Llandegfan’s defence had stood strong in the first half with some fine performances from Cameron Slater and former Arriva man Kieran Fritter. However, the tie was to turn on its head in the second 45 minutes.

Goals from Scott Hughes and a strike from Kieron Davies ensured that it was The Busmen who progressed to the second round of the Megan Cup. However, Llandegfan can be VERY proud of that performance in the first half and certainly have something to build on off the back of it. Surely it’s only a matter of time before they win now?

Valley 8-3 Bodorgan

Joining Arriva and Bryngwran in the next round of the cup are Valley, who swept Bodorgan aside at Cae Mwd with a fine performance.

Paul Williams put on a Man of the Match display as he bagged a hat-trick for Dan Jones’ side. Former Pentraeth Reserves forward Jon Morton got his first two goals of the season for his new club and Marc Wilson, Andrew Bailey and top scorer Mike Williams (12 for the season) completed the rout.

Goals from Bodorgan came from Luke Allaway, Luke Gardiner and Sam Hallas, but overall it was a day to forget for Dave Webster’s side.

Valley will now welcome Cefni to Cae Mwd when the second round of the Megan Cup competition comes around.



Cefni 4-2 Holyhead Hotspur Reserves

Image may contain: 18 people, including Chris Davies, Liam Griffiths and Peter Twigg, people smiling, sky, outdoor and nature
Another win for Cefni! 

Peter Twigg’s Cefni side pulled off a stunning win against a Hotspur Reserves that have looked really good at times this season.

The Reserves took the lead early on when player-manager Mike Kelly bagged his eleventh goal of the season but Cefni were back in it just two minutes later through top scorer Paul Jones. The home side then found themselves in front before half time thanks to a goal from Marc Parry.

In the second half, Cefni found themselves two goals ahead when a mistake from the Hotspur keeper allowed them in for a third goal. Then, Kris Dunne pulled one back for the visitors to set up a tense finale. However, an equaliser wasn’t to be as Luke Williams ensured the three points for Cefni and made it 4-2.

“I want to say thanks to all the lads today, some boys really stepped up,” Manager Peter Twigg said. “I’m very proud of getting the first win as the new manager of the team I and Lee Lewis started.”


Cemaes Bay 3-0 Llanfairpwll

Cemaes continued their decent start to the Anglesey League season with a routine victory over Llanfair.

Tam Morton stood out on the day with his double and Owain Griffiths followed up from his stunner v Cefni last week with another goal in this match.

The win sees Cemaes up to fifth in the league with 16 points, whilst Llanfair remain tenth on seven points.



Llangoed 7-4 Gwalchmai (AET)

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and outdoor
Llangoed progress in the Junior Cup!

A Junior Cup fixture which had been cancelled twice in as many weeks was finally played out this weekend and it was well worth the wait as it provided an eleven goal thriller between two evenly-matched Gwynedd League sides.

Llion Roberts fired Llangoed in front on six minutes as he latched onto a through ball and dinked his shot over the Gwlachmai keeper. However, there was barely time to breathe before an equaliser came – Gwalch hitting Llangoed on the counter-attack and Declan Jones made it 1-1.

21 minutes in it was 2-1 to Llangoed again when Dave Thomas (making his fifith debut for the club!) strolled into put his side in the league again. Three minutes later though it was level again when – the home side failing to deal with a throw in which bounced through to the lively Corey Sinnot who headed in.

On 36 minutes, it was Gwlachmai’s turn to take the lead when Sinnot was in again and completely wrong-footed Rhys Owen in goal. Half time finally came and it was fair to say that if that was crazy, the rest of this fixture would prove to be even better.

On 52 minutes, a superb cross from Carwyn Williams was met brilliantly at the front post by the returning David Thomas who guided the ball into the top corner for 3-3. Two minutes later, Llangoed took the lead for the third time in this topsy-turvy match – wayne Thomas completed a hat-trick of assists as Jay Finter hit a cracking volley in under the bar. Gwalch then equalised once more nine minutes from time to see the game go into Extra Time – which understandably brought about even more goals!

Fresh legs made an instant impact for Llangoed in ET, Carl Pritchard met a ball at the back post for 5-4 on 96mins. Wayne Thomas then picked up his fifth assist of the day on 99mins when he laid the ball on a plate for Pritchard who scored a stunner, dinking the ball over the keeper’s head.

A penalty conversion from substitute Carl Pritchard saw him complete a memorable hat-trick to send Llangoed into the second round, where they will face a trip to a strong Llansannan side (who beat Pentraeth Reserves 4-3 in the first round).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s