NWCFA JUNIOR CUP: Bro and Menai Tigers through as bad weather hits

PICTURE by Bro Goronwy FC.

THE majority of the North Wales Coast Football Association Junior Cup fixtures were delayed by Storm Callum this weekend as only two matches went ahead.

Waterlogged pitches and potential long-distance travelling for clubs in the dangerous weather on Saturday morning forced the NWCFA to make the decision to call most of the games off. These two survived however …

Bro Goronwy 4-2 Cefni

Liam Griffiths of Cefni (blue) takes on Liam Griffiths of Bro!

Anglesey League side Cefni put up a good fight but eventually crashed out of the cup at the hands of Bro who proved to be too strong in the end.

In what was hailed as a derby match (with Bro based in Moelfre and Cefni in Llangefni), the game certainly didn’t fail to live up to its pre-match expectations as both sides gave it their all.

Cefni started the game on the front foot and should have found themselves ahead via chances from Huw Jones and Lee Lewis. However, it was the home side who would eventually take the lead just eight minutes in when Jac Thomas got on the end of a free kick to nod home.

That goal seemed to give Bro the confidence to go on and control the game and they began to dominate the tempo of it. Defender Dylan Jones headed just over the bar before efforts from Callum Thomas and Taylor Jones kept Cefni’s goalkeeper Danny Taylor busy. However, the second goal came via striker Thomas once more as he again headed the ball home from a corner on 35mins.

A third goal came for the home side before half time too – Dan Fairhead timing his run well and getting in behind the defence before squaring the ball to Callum Thomas who slotted the ball into the net.

Credit to Cefni, they certainly didn’t give up in this one and their second half performance was a real testament to just how far they have come as a team since forming in the summer. Bro’s Taylor Jones missed a glorious chance to make it 4-0 and the home side were made to pay moments later as a Paul Jones header gave Cefni slight hope of a comeback.

Some further heroics from Taylor in the Cefni goal kept them alive and midfielder Ben Wright pulled another goal back via a sweet volley to get hearts on both sides of the pitch racing.

Cefni pushed the home side all the way in this one, but it just wasn’t quite to be in the end as an injury-time goal from Ross Mark saw Bro through to the second round of the cup where they will go on to face St Asaph Reserves.


Menai Bridge Tigers 6-2 Valley

Redmond was the four goal hero for The Tigers on Saturday. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Gwynedd League leaders Menai Bridge continued their phenomenal form with a straightforward win over the Anglesey League’s Valley.

Played at the 3G pitch in Bangor in the midst of terrible weather, Sean Brett’s side maintained their unbeaten run via a fine second half performance.

The Tigers were ahead after just three minutes as some brilliant link-up play between Sion Hogan and Callum Graves saw the latter whip a great ball in for Dean Redmond who pounced to make it 1-0.

The “home” side continued to dominate the game but also had to rely on some good defending – particularly from Callum Hughes and Darren Jones – to deny Valley from getting an equaliser. Bridge’s chances of progressing were strengthened when Redmond added his second on 35 mins.

If the first half was good for Menai Bridge, then the second was excellent. Kevin Roberts made it 3-0 shortly after the second 45 began with a great half volley after Sion Hogan had beaten a couple of defenders to create that opportunity.

It could have been a lot worse for Valley too but their keeper did well to deny chances from Hogan, Shaun Lock and Kelvin Frazer. The visitors did manage to pull one back in the middle of Bridge’s frenzy – as a free kick from took a wicked deflection and beat David Clarke in goal.

It was a day to forget for Elliot Patterson and co. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Callum Davidson made an instant impact for Menai Bridge when he came off the bench – adding a fourth goal for his side as he rifled a shot into the bottom corner of the net. Three minutes later, Dean Redmond completed his hat-trick when Sion Hogan once again created the space.

There was still time for Redmond to add a fourth goal before the end of the match too – he weaved inside the defence and smashed home a shot from the edge of the box. There was another consolation goal for Valley on 85 mins but overall it was well and truly a day to forget for a side that reached the semi-finals of this Cup last season.

Menai Bridge will now travel to Denbigh Development in the second round of the cup.


The following fixtures have been moved after being postponed:

Saturday, October 20 (1.30pm ko)

Llandegfan v Llandudno Athletic

Llangoed v Gwalchmai

Old Colwyn v Cerrigydrudion

Penrhyn Bay Dragons v Arriva Bangor

Waunfawr v Rhos United

Saturday, October 27

Nefyn United v Llandudno Amateurs


Round Two of the cup currently looks like this:

Bryngwran Bulls v Mynydd Tigers
Denbigh Development v Menai Bridge Tigers
Betws Y Coed v Llanelwy Athletic
Y Glannau v Llanystumdwy
Llansannan v Llangoed FC or Gwalchmai
Bro Goronwy v St Asaph City
Penrhyn Bay Dragons or Arriva Bangor v Waunfawr or Rhos United
Cemaes Bay v Llanfairfechan Town
Old Colwyn or Cerrigydrudion v Henllan
Abergele v Llanfairpwll
Llandegfan or Llandudno Athletic v Caergybi
Llanfairfechan Town Reserves v Nefyn United or Llandudno Amateurs
Bontnewydd v Talysarn Celts
Bodorgan v Rhuddlan Town
Holyhead Hotspur Reserves v Machno United
Llysfaen v Bro Cernyw


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s