Anglesey League: Cemaes break Llandeg hearts and Cefni hold Bulls in stalemate

PICTURE by Wynne Evans shows Matty Roberts (Navy) of Bryngwran Bulls challenege Henry Caldecott of Cefni for the ball.

Bryngwran Bulls 0-0 Cefni

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport, grass, outdoor and nature
PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

It’s not often at all you get a draw in this league, but a 0-0 draw is very, very uncommon!

That’s exactly what happened at Cae Ysgol on Saturday afternoon though as Bryngwran dropped points for the second game running as Cefni held out.

In what was real end-to-end and tough battle, a draw was definitely the right result at the end of this one. Bryngwran went close in the first half, but the Cefni keeper produced a fine save to stop a free-kick going in.

The second half was a bit more lively and Cefni looked as though they had taken the lead when Ben Wright nodded the ball over The Bulls’ stand-in keeper Konner Druce, but his effort hit the post and was cleared away to safety.

Bryngwran were unusually very wasteful in front of goal and as the 90 minutes came to an end, Cefni became the first team in nearly two years to stop them scoring thanks to a fine defensive effort.


Holyhead Hotspur Reserves 1-0 Caergybi

Hotspur Res enjoyed a great win here. PICTURE: Mike Kelly.

After Cybi beat The Bulls last week in that 6-4 thriller, many would have expected a walkover for them here, but it certainly wasn’t the case as Hotspur’s youngsters stunned them with a fine performance.

Ninety minutes of great attacking and defending from both sides provided a great showing of football in this Holyhead derby match.

The only goal of the game came on 55 minutes when Haydn Williams found the back of the net for Hotspur Reserves. Mike Kelly’s side were reduced to ten men some ten minutes later when Simon Davies was sent off after receiving a second yellow card.

However, the hosts held out in front of a good crowd of around 150 supporters at the New Stadium as Caergybi failed to score for the first time since January.

Man of the match for Hotspur was Tom Scott, who was superb throughout, whilst goalkeeper Kieran Weeks earned his second consecutive MOTM award for Caergybi.


Llandegfan 3-4 Cemaes Bay

It was a case of so close, yet so far once again for Llandeg as they fell to an agonising loss late on at home to Cemaes.

In what was probably the game of the weekend, the home side gave their all but fell short in the end as Darren Hughes’ side nicked the three points.

Llandeg found themselves ahead in the opening ten minutes when midfielder Geraint Roberts fired home on the volley. The home side continued to press but just couldn’t find that second goal and eventually paid for it when Craig Childes was judged to have brought winger Sean Sullivan down in the box – the latter converting the penalty for 1-1. Cemaes scored again just before half time via forward Liam Rodriguez who got in behind the Llandeg defence.

In the second half, the home side came out battling once more and swiftly equalised when Kurt Harris burst down the wing before laying it on a plate for Dave Parry to make it 2-2. Moments later Llandeg were in front again when Harris was again dangerous, this time nodding the ball home at the back post.

It looked for all the world like Llandegfan were going to stun Cemaes, however it just wasn’t to be. On 80 mins, Sullivan managed to sneak in behind the defence well before poking the ball past goalkeeper Jamie Kiely for 3-3. However, it was pure agony for Llandeg when captain Dafydd Jones’ strike five minutes from time took a deflection off a Llandeg defender and found its way into the net for the winner.

Cemaes had to dig really deep for the win in this contest and credit to them, they did just that. Surely though it is only a matter of time before Llandegfan get those three points they will feel they deserve for their recent improvements in performance.


Pentraeth Reserves 1-2 Bodorgan

Bod came away with what could be a vital three points from Bryniau field on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors started off brightly with a shot from forward Luke Gardiner going just wide and Danny Connolly going close too in the opening 20 minutes. However, when Pentraeth got going they looked good with Ryan Hughes and Dylan Jones pulling the strings in midfield.

Chances for Tom Jones and John Jones went begging, but the hosts did find themselves 1-0 up on the half hour mark when Peter Crowe pounced on a defensive error. It remained the same until half time and Bod were fortunate to still have 11 men on the field after Nathan Evans miraculously escaped punishment for a headbutt.

In the second half though, Bodorgan were more clinical. On 65 minutes they equalised when Gardiner was once again lively – getting on the receiving end of an Iwan Parry long throw to make it 1-1.

More and more chances went begging for both sides and it wasn’t until the 83rd minute the winner would come. Striker Luke Allaway passed forward and found Danny Connolly in space and he made no mistake to give his side the victory.


Next week’s fixtures ….

ELIAS CUP (Saturday, September 22 – 2pm ko)

Caergybi v Bodorgan Juniors

Llandegfan v Arriva Bangor

Llanfairpwll v Cemaes Bay


Cefni v Pentraeth Reserves

Valley v Bryngwran Bulls


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s