ANGLESEY LEAGUE: Just two games played as waterlogged pitches strike again

PICTURE: Caergybi FC squad photo.

ONLY two of the four fixtures involving Kon-X Anglesey League sides went ahead this weekend as bad weather affected the region once again.

The Elias Cup semi-final’s between Arriva Bangor and Mynydd Tigers and Bryngwran Bulls and Bodorgan were called off due to their pitches being deemed unplayable.

Here’s how the two matches that DID go ahead panned out …

Kon-X Anglesey League

Llandegfan 2  v 12 Caergybi

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Llandegfan endured yet another double-digit defeat on Saturday evening as a dominant Caergybi hit twelve goals past them.

With starting goalkeeper Hywel Hughes unable to play due to a bereavement, Dale Rowlands stepped in in his place and was awarded Llandegfan’s Man of the Match award for his efforts.

Llandeg stunned Caergybi early on as they took the lead through a Ryan Hughes goal in the first minute of the match. However, just two minutes later Liam Williams equalised for the visitors.

It was all downhill from there for the home side and further goals from Luke McKittrick, Ashley Beck (2), Glenn North, Elliot Patterson and Dafydd Edwards made it 7-1 to Caergybi at the break.

In the second half, Edwards and McKittrick added another goal each, as did Jack Roberts before Glenn North completed the rout by scoring twice and bagging himself a hat-trick in the process.

Ryan Hughes scored again for Llandeg late on taking his tally for the season to six and placing himself as the club’s top scorer.

With the season slowly but surely coming to a close, it’s fair to say it’s been a very tough one for Llandegfan in their comeback campaign. You have to praise them for the way they’re sticking together through it all though and I have no doubts that improvements are being made within the club week on week.

Caergybi on the other hand have enjoyed a dream debut campaign in the division. They have a wealth of talent in their squad, are almost certain to finish in the top four and are also still very much alive in some cup competitions too. 


Bwlch Car Boot Trophy (Group B)

Pentraeth Reserves 1 v 3 Valley Athletic

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport, grass, child, outdoor and nature
Valley Keeper Jamie Owen played well on Saturday. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Valley continued their push for silverware this season with a routine 3-1 win over a hard-working Pentraeth Reserves side.

The visitors battled hard in this one as the likes of club captain Barry Roberts, Ashley Hughes and Ryan Haywood were all unavailable.

Manager Barry Rowlands was unable to make the beginning of the game too due to an unexpected emergency call for his tree surgery business (Rowlands Tree Services). This meant the team was led by former manager Dan Jones.

With the pitch just about having been deemed fit to play on, it’s fair to say that attractive football was never going to be played in the conditions and it was always going to be a case of do what’s necessary in order to keep the ball.

The first chance fell to Valley. Justin Williams ran at the Reserves defence and slipped the ball to Marc Wilson , who dragged his effort wide. The Pentraeth youngsters were a threat going forward too but each attack saw Valley keeper Jamie Owen being on hand to keep it 0-0.

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport, grass, child, tree, outdoor and nature
Justin Williams stole the show for Valley once again. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Eventually though it was Valley’s top scorer Justin Williams who broke the deadlock after midfielder Nik Kontodios had played him in. 1-0 at halftime then and the game was still very much in the balance.

Valley doubled their advantage early on in the second half however. A corner kick from left back Justin Taylor curled perfectly right into tho top corner for 2-0.

Pentraeth pressed on to try and pull a goal back, but this left there defenders high up the pitch, giving Williams a chance to use his pace and catch them out. Konnor Druce was his usual energetic self, and even in the wet conditions he was able to run at the defence.

The winger managed to get the ball to Williams and the striker made it a brace for himself on the day and three for his team to kill the game off.

Pentraeth eventually pulled one back with minutes to spare. A fine 20 yard chip flew over Jamie Owen’s head and into the back of the net. Any chance of a comeback was unlikely though.

Both teams deserve credit in this one as they battled on through some testing conditions to play out a decent game of football.


In other sad news …

The brother of League chairman Dennis Bryant – Reg Bryant – passed away over the weekend.

Reg was an active life member of the Anglesey League for many years. There will be a minute silence in all games held next weekend in his memory.

AFEFootballNews would like to send condolences to Reg’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Reg Bryant. PICTURE: Kon-X Anglesey League.


Keep following AFEFootballNews for all the latest on the Anglesey League, Gwynedd League and beyond.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s