Snow, Ice and lots of goals as NWCFA Junior Cup Round Two doesn’t disappoint.

PICTURE by Bro Goronwy FC.

THE WORST weather conditions of 2017 hit northern parts of Wales this week as snow, ice and hailstones fell all over the region. But did that stop all the football from being played? of course not.

Whilst the weekend’s only Kon-X Anglesey League fixture, Llandegfan v Bodorgan, was cancelled, some of the fixtures from the North Wales Coast Football Association Junior Cup took place.

Talysarn Celts v Rhyl Rovers, Llanllyfni v Rhyl FC Youth, Denbigh Development v Llangoed, Llanfairfechan Town v Holyhead Town, Abergele v Gwalchmai, Llansannan v Llanrwst United, Arriva Bangor v Rhuddlan Town, Henllan v Old Colwyn and Llandyrnog United v Llandudno Amateurs were all postponed, but here’s how the rest got on during Saturday afternoon …


Valley 8 – 2 Hope Wanderers

Saturday saw Kon-X Anglesey League side, Valley side take on Hope Wanderers, who have been on the receiving end of some big score lines in the Vale of Clwyd and Conwy Football League lately.

The home side took just 20 minutes to take the lead as striker Mike Williams converted a penalty after he had been brought down in the box. Soon after, the same player was again the danger man and his cut back found Konnor Druce who netted to make it 2-0.

Hope Wanderers were attacking in brief spells, but the well organised back three of Ash Hughes, Ryan Heywood and Jack Peters stood strong.

It was 3-0 when Ash Hughes put in a great ball from a free kick which saw Konnor Druce grab his second goal of the game.

Ryan Hall was causing trouble from the right wing and when he squared the ball to Nik Kontodious, the centre midfielder layed it off to the lively Jordie Lees to make it 4-0 at the break.

In the second half, Hope finally pulled one back from a headed goal into the bottom corner following a free kick.

Any chance of a comeback was made harder though when Mike Williams got his second of the day and made it 5-1. Ryan Hall grabbed his first of the season and made it 6-1 soon after via a counter attack and Konner Druce bagged his second consecutive hat-trick since joining Valley when he converted a penalty (7-1).

In the final few minutes, there was still time for two more goals in this thriller. Captain Marc Wilson, who celebrated his 30th birthday on Thursday, finished off his sides scoring, slipping the ball under the keeper on the rebound after his initial shot was saved.

Hope added their second following controversy from the referee. He first gave a free kick, but after some protests from the away bench, there was confusion and the ref changed his decision to a penalty, which was then saved before being converted thanks to a rebound (8-2).

Danny Roberts collected the Man of the Match award in this one, for his battling in the centre of the pitch. Following the game, he said: “I’m obviously made up to be awarded Man of the Match, but I think I was definitely run close by Jordie Lees who’s been outstanding for us lately.”
Llandudno Athletic 1 – 2 Caergybi

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor
Caergybi FC squad photo before game against Llandudno Athletic. PICTURE: Caergybi FC.

Valley weren’t the only Kon-X Anglesey League side to enjoy a win in the second round of the Cup however, as arch rivals Caergybi also pulled off an impressive victory at Llandudno Athletic’s Oval ground.

It was expected to be a close battle between the two, as both are valid title contenders in their respected leagues (Llandudno Athletic play in the Vale of Clwyd & Conwy Football League).

From the start, the game was a scrappy affair with neither side retaining possession for long periods of time.

The first goal of the tight affair did come early on however. On 17 minutes, Liam Williams’ corner kick found the prolific Gary Jo Owen who put it past Llandudno Athletics keeper.

Glenn North added Caergybi’s second on 24 minutes with a dipping volley into the top corner, once again giving the home side’s keeper no chance.

Jack Williams pulled one back for Llandudno Athletic, but Caergybi withstood the test and progress to the next round of the NWCFA Junior Cup.


Mynydd Tigers 3-4 Llanystumdwy

Another Kon-X Anglesey League side in action on Saturday afternoon were Mynydd Tigers, who put up a strong battle against higher league opposition, Llanystumdwy, narrowly losing 4-3.

The visitors, who play their football in the league above (Gwynedd League), took the trip to Bangor City’s Nanporth stadium for a 6pm kick-off against the Tigers and the match certainly disappoint from a neutral perspective.

Captain Mike Williams scored for Mynydd and midfielder Herbie Hofsteede hit two. However, goals from Tom Williams (2), Sion Parry and Sion Guto were enough to give the visitors a win in this thriller which was probably the tie of the round.

Mynydd will feel hard done by in this one, but they are currently top of the league in the Kon-X Anglesey League and are also still competing in various domestic competitions, so they still have a lot to look forward to this season.


Nefyn United 4 – 2 Bryngwran Bulls

Nefyn United FC squad photo 2017/18.

The only other Kon-X Anglesey Legaue side in action on Saturday afternoon was Bryngwran Bulls, who put in a spirited performance against the Gwynedd League’s Nefyn United, despite a 4-2 loss.

Nefyn, who have only lost once at home all season, deserved the win in the end, but the Bulls kept the pressure on them throughout the match, with goalkeeper Bryn Jones making some great saves too.

The hero for the home side on the afternoon was a young man named Mark Dunn who bagged himself a hat-trick.

His first came on 12 minutes, but was cancelled out by Bulls’ Matty Roberts who was lively throughout and was named their Man of the Match at the final whistle.

Dunn bagged his second just before half time and a Daniel Roberts goal on the other side of the half made it 3-1 to Nefyn.

Some fine saves from goalkeeper Alan Jones denied Bryngwran on two occasions, before Dunn completed his hat-trick and made it 4-1 to the home side.

The Bulls pulled another goal back with two minutes left on the clock via a Tony Meyer goal, but it was unfortunately too little too late. for them as Nefyn came away victorious in this one.

After the match, Bryngwran Bulls manager, Richard Owen, said: “Any team drawing Nefyn in the next round will face a huge test.

“Credit to them for this one and good luck to a good bunch of lads and the whole set up for the rest of the season.”


Bro Goronwy 4 – 1 St Asaph City

Action from the Bro v St. Asaph Youth match. PICTURE: Bro Goronwy.

NWCFA Junior Cup holders Bro Goronwy marched on into the next round of the tournament with a routine 4-1 win over St. Asaph City Youth.

Goals from Connor Jones (2), Andy Williams and Carwyn Williams ensured the Gwynedd League hosts wrapped up a convincing victory, Sam Roberts replying for the Vale of Clwyd and Conwy League Division One visitors.

Midfield maestro Andy Swindells controlled the pace of the game for Bro, as the result never really looked in doubt, with goalkeeper Sweetser-Hawkes not having much to do all game.

Bro raced into a 2-0 lead at half time. Connor Jones scored with a free kick from 25 yards with the help of a defensive deflection, before Andrew Williams scored from a corner to add the second.

Things stayed very much the same in the second half. Sam Regan’s floated free kick was flicked on by Andwy Williams into the path of Connor Jones, who added his second of the game, firing a shot under the St. Asaph keepers body and into the net.

The visitors pulled one back with 10 minutes remaining. A nice 1-2 move between Kelvin Berk and Sam Roberts, resulted in the latter applying a composed finish into the bottom corner of the net.

There was still time for one more Bro goal too however, as Carwyn Williams netted from a rebounded shot to give the home side a comfortable 4-1 victory.

Elsewhere in the cup, Beaumaris Town fell to a 2 – 4 loss at the hands of Bontnewydd. Aled Steel, Gareth Edwards, Rhys Roberts and Morgan Roberts guided the visitors to their triumph, whilst Kieren Jeffreys and Chris Camilleri scored for the islanders.

Waunfawr enjoyed a 4 – 2 victory over Menai Bridge Tigers. Shaun Roberts, Elis Povey (2) and Ioan Gwynedd scoring for the home side, whislt Dave Baston and Dafydd Healy responded for the Tigers.

Be sure to keep reading AFEFootballNews for all the latest news and scores from Wales’ lower leagues!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s